As the temperature rises, people seek out foods that are colder. If you’re looking for a cold summer soup, you may be thinking gazpacho. Now most people think of gazpacho as a tomato soup, but there are lots of variations. You can find recipes featuring avocado, grapes, cucumber, and non-vegan stocks. This version highlights one of the ubiquitous summer fruits: watermelon.
The refreshing, raw soup combines watermelon with habenero chilis to provide a kick. You can adjust the amount of chilis to find the perfect heat level to offset the sweet coolness of the watermelon.
- 3 cups watermelon
- 1 habanero chili
- 1 mango, diced (can be large diced)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seed
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- finely diced watermelon and mango pieces for garnish
- Assemble all ingredients.
- Remove cardamom seeds from their shells. Remove seeds from watermelon (or buy seedless)
- Place all ingredients except for cilantro and agave in blender and puree.
- Transfer to a bowl, and add agave and cilantro.
- Garnish with finely diced mango and watermelon pieces.
- Best served chilled. Can also garnish with fresh squash blossom or other edible flower.