February 16th is National Almond Day, so we thought we’d take this week and explore a little more about this amazing nut. Almonds are extremely versatile. They can be roasted, pureed, chopped, and milked. They can be made into flour. So many uses.
I make my own almond butter and I like to put almonds in my nut mix. I’ve tried milking them, but it turns out it’s just a few cents cheaper to buy the pre-made milk.
Almonds and dates go very well together. Here’s a recipe for an energy ball/bar that includes these amazing tree nuts.
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp jalapeno powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until it’s a big sticky mess. Roll into 1 ounce balls. They can also be shaped into bars
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Overnight is better. Store in the refrigerator (if they last that long).
- Enjoy when you need a quick pick me up.