Welcome to Things Vegans Cook. We will be posting recipes to entice you to begin cooking vegan food that will have your friends and family fawning over you. Here’s one of our favorite quinoa recipes to help get you started.
Red Chili Chocolate Quinoa
- 1/2 cup quinoa soaked in water for an hour
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar muscavedo or similar
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup roma tomatoes diced small
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 2 tbsp cashew crema
- 2 ea acorn squash sliced into rings and roasted
- Mince the garlic, dice the onion, and dice the tomatoes.
- Heat up a large skillet. Toast the quinoa in this skillet using the dry method (no oil). Be careful because the seeds will pop out.
- Add water, red chili, chocolate, and sugar.
- Stir the mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a medium low temperature and cover.
- Cook until the quinoa absorbs all the water and is done. Approximately 20-25 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, sauté the onion and garlic together in a pan.
- When the quinoa is done, mix in the onions and garlic saute.
- Stuff the quinoa into the acorn squash shells. Cook in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Arrange on plates and drizzle with Tomatillo Sauce. Add a dollop of cashew crema.
- Top with fresh diced tomatoes and chiffonade cilantro.
- Serve with Roasted Red Potatoes.