If you’re looking for a last minute vegan pumpkin pie recipe, you’ve come to the right place. This pie has been taste-tested — and loved — by both vegans and omnivores. Bring this to your holiday celebration and your family and friends will be begging you for the recipe.
This recipe is based on one originally found years ago on VegWeb. Over the years it has been tweaked and adjusted (for example, corn starch was replaced with arrowroot to accommodate a corn allergy). The crust recipe originally came from Simple Gluten Free.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie w/ Gluten-free Crust
A simple but scrumptious veganized pumpkin pie recipe.
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted vegan margarine
- 2-4 tbsp cold water
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
For Pie Filling
- 15 ounces of pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup vegan sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp jalapeno powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp arrowroot
- 12 ounces silken soft tofu
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Blend all the (crust) ingredients with a pastry cutter or use two table knives to “cut” the pastry.
- Once blended, knead for 1-2 minutes. Then let the dough rest for at least ten minutes. This gives the flour time to absorb the water.
- Knead the dough a few more times, until soft and pliable.
- Roll out onto a pastry board until it reaches 9 inches or a little over. Pie shells have a tendency to shrink during the baking process.
- Carefully place the pie shell into the pie pan. Gently pat the dough down into the pan. This requires a bit of a light touch. It is OK if the dough rips. You can repair it with the excess dough hanging over the edges of the pan.
- Crimp the edges of the crust. Use a fork to flute the edges.
For Pie Filling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Blend all the (filling) ingredients together using a food processor, stand mixer, or by hand. Pour into crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees then lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 60 minutes. While this is not a quick bake recipe, it is certainly well worth the wait.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- Serve with coconut whip or vegan ice cream.
Things Vegans Cook http://www.thingsveganscook.com/