Jackfruit has become the darling of the vegan world. A versatile plant, jackfruit takes on the flavors of almost anything it encounters. It also shreds really well, which is why it can become barbeque or “pulled.”
Here’s a classic cooking technique using jackfruit instead of pork.
Serve this to your friends and they will not suspect a thing, unless of course, you tell them.
- 1 orange sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 or 4 peppercorns
- 4 or 5 pieces of flat cinnamon stick
- 2 cans young jackfruit in brine
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, julienne
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Place the sliced oranges, bay leaves, mustard seed, peppercorns and cinnamon in a satchel made of muslin or cheesecloth. If using cheesecloth, criss-cross the layers up to four layers so the mustard seeds don’t fall out.
- Drain the jackfruit. Put everything into a slow cooker. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Take everything out of the slow cooker and discard the satchel. Cool down so that you can handle the fruit.
- Shred the jackfruit. It should just fall apart.
- Use for tacos, burritos, make into mole, or smother in red chili and serve with beans and rice.