In Oaxaca, they have all kinds of mole, a kind of paste or thick sauce—yellow, green, red—but a chocolate mole is one of the most unique. This chocolate mole with smoked tofu is as satisfying as any meat dish.
Calçots are a Catalan dish of very young leeks simply broiled, slightly blackened, and dressed with olive oil. A great combo for tacos. The typically Oaxacan sauce will make double the amount you need for the tofu, so either freeze half, or if you have more guests, double the amount of tofu. You can serve this as tacos or just as a stew with rice.
This recipe comes from V is for Vegan, a new cookbook by Kerstin Rodgers. For more Kerstin’s amazing recipes, visit her website MsMarmiteLover.
- 2½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Generous 2 oz [60 g] vegan dark chocolate
- 8¾ oz [350 g] whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 2 dried chipotle chilies
- 2 Tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1¾ cups [170 g] blanched or ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp strong agave nectar
- 14 oz [400 g] firm smoked tofu, drained and cut into 1-in [2.5-cm] cubes
- 1 pack of calçots, young leeks or scallions, trimmed
- 14 corn tortillas
- Sea salt
- For the Garnish
- Slices of avocado
- A fistful of alfalfa sprouts
- Sprigs of cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft, then add the chocolate, tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, and allspice. Cook slowly over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the chilies.
- Meanwhile, split all the dried chilies and discard the seeds, then briefly toast the chilies in a dry skillet until soft. Place in a 1 pint [½ L] heatproof pitcher with the vegetable bouillon powder. Fill up the pitcher with boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Put the almonds, the chili and stock mixture, the cooked sauce, agave nectar, and 1 Tbsp salt in a powerful blender. Starting on a low speed, process together, increasing the speed as you go, until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a deep, wide skillet.