Cool drinks are in demand in the summer and most people go right for the lemonade or iced tea. In the Amercian Southwest, however, agua frescas are growing in popularity. Literally translated they are “fresh water” infused with fruit and herbs. Some popular flavors of agua fresca are strawberry, jamaica(hibiscus flower), and tamarind.
The recipe we’re sharing today features watermelon. It seemed appropriate, given that this is National Watermelon Month. Try it out and let us know how you like it.
- 1/2 watermelon, peeled and seeds taken out (use seedless for less work)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup ginger infused simple syrup or 1/2 cup sweetener (if using stevia, use less)
- juice of 1 lime
- several sprigs of mint
- Peel watermelon and discard seeds, if necessary.
- Blend 1 cup fruit to 2 cups water at a time with sweetener and 8-10 leaves of peppermint. Strain mixture and pour into pitcher. Add sweetener and mix..
- Serve chilled and garnished with mint and lime slices.
- To make simple syrup, check out this base recipe and then add 6-8 wafer thin slices of ginger.